Saturday, September 8, 2012

New domain points to: 69.6.27.100 quizinged.net generatest.net quizbustar.net HACKED! WTF!

So I registered a new domain, waited a day, and then began the process of setting it up on my home server. I added it to the apache sites-enabled list and it looked like it was about to work and then.... BAM, I get redicted to some jerk's website.

I did a hostname to IP lookup and saw it was pointing to:
69.6.27.100

Which is not my static IP. I know my server has not been hacked with a redirect since I never see any entry in my apache log:
tail /var/log/apache2/error.log

So that means it is not even hitting my home.

So I check my DNSserver for one of my working domains:


Retrieving DNS records for YOURDomain.com...
DNS servers
ns2.dnsexit.com [142.54.181.62]
ns1.dnsexit.com [67.214.171.77]


and then I realized I was typing in the WRONG domain! I was typing one letter different and a spam site owned that. So a big waste of time. No hack, just the wrong domain was checked in my url.

Oops I'm an idiot




No comments: